If your teeth are out of line, and could benefit from braces, you might prefer to use Invisalign®. This is a system which uses a series of clear, removable aligners which slowly straighten teeth without the obvious and disruptive use of traditional metal braces.
How Invisalign Works
In your initial consultation, Dr. Salem will take digital impressions of your mouth to send to the Invisalign® laboratory. Dr. Salem will use the impressions to show you the changes you can expect after treatment, while the lab uses the information to create the custom series of aligners which will be used.
Once the aligners are installed, you should wear them from 22 to 24 hours per day, removing them only to eat or brush and floss your teeth. Every two weeks you will change to a new set of aligners, so the pressure to move the teeth into line is adjusted slightly. Most patients only need to visit the dentist every six weeks.
After the aligners have done their job, you will be provided with a retainer to maintain the change.
What Invisilign® Treats
The types of tooth misalignment that Invisalign® treats include:
- Teeth too widely spaced
- Teeth that are crowded
Your Alpha Dental dentist will review your situation during a consultation and advise if Invisalign® is appropriate for you.
Invisalign® has several benefits over traditional orthodontia:
- The aligners are virtually unnoticeable when being worn.
- They are made from a soft plastic which does not irritate your gums and soft tissue.
- Because they are removable, brushing your teeth and flossing are easy.
- Unlike some metal braces, these aligners allow you to eat what you like.
- They can address most of the same issues that metal braces do.
- The length of time needed for treatment, and the cost are comparable to metal braces.
- Ultimately, when you put your teeth in alignment, they will be easier to clean and maintain for the rest of your life.